People are always searching for the golden ratio when it comes to cooking. Most chefs will tell you that the ratio of the fat to the fish should be around two parts fat to one part fish. The majority of the foodies out there will insist on using only the fins and tails of the fish as it cooks. Some will even cut the fish into really small pieces, almost like confetti. While others will leave it relatively whole. Regardless of what method you choose, there is one thing that everyone agrees upon: the golden ratio is fundamental to creating an excellent plate of fish. The length of time that a fish is cooked is referred to as its “doneness.” When a fish is cooked perfectly, it will easily pull apart at the touch of a fork. If done right, a piece of fish will fall from the bone, and the juices will be absolutely delicious.
So how long does a fish have to be cooked in order to achieve this golden ratio? That is a question that I set out to answer after researching the topic online. I wanted to know exactly how long I should fry my fish in order to get the most out of it. After all, time is money, and nothing is more expensive than a perfectly good piece of fish that you have to throw away because it wasn’t cooked properly. With some simple math, I came up with an easy way to determine the right time to salt and bake or fry my fish. As it turns out, the answer is quite a bit different for certain fish than it is for others.
If you are like most people, you probably store a lot of your fish in the freezer. With the help of my friends at Best Buy Seafood, I was able to get my hands on some of the freshest freshwater fish that they had to offer. One thing that I noticed about these particular fish was how resistant they were to overcooking. For some reason, freezing seems to stabilize the flesh of the fish, preventing it from breaking down too much after being cooked. As a result, I was able to cook my fish completely different ways than I normally would, depending on how I wanted the results to turn out. If you are looking to save money and time, as well as enjoy the convenience of frozen fish, then try out some of the fish varieties that they have on sale now. It is also a great way to introduce your family to seafood, particularly since most people are just becoming more aware of the negative effects that heavily treated water has on the environment. For the best results, follow the cooking instructions that your fish package may give you and make sure that your fish is completely thawed before putting it in the oven or on the grill.
For those of you who are fortunate enough to live in an area where fresh water fish is available, then you should know that these are the fish that are best suited for frying. Even better, many retailers offer special deals on freshwater fish, making them much more affordable. If you are looking for a low-cost way to add more fish to your diet then consider buying some of these delicious creatures to fry. However, it is also important to note that freshwater fish are more delicate than their saltwater counterparts, and therefore require more care and attention during the frying process. If you are not used to dealing with fish, then take some time to learn how to clean and cook them properly to ensure that you get the most out of this healthy protein. Many chefs advocate for removing the heads and tails of the fish before placing them in hot oil. While this may be good for aesthetics, it actually helps retain more of the fish’s natural flavor by keeping the flesh more intact. The tails of the fish should be sliced off before serving, and the heads should be removed before cooking. This way, the fish will be easier to chew and digest, as all the bones have been removed by the cook. It is also important to make sure that your fish is completely clean before frying. Any type of contamination, whether it be from fecal debris or from dead skin cells, can seriously affect the taste of your fish. With that being said, always use fresh oil, and clean oil tanks and spas at least once a week to ensure that your fish is not starting to deteriorate.
If you have tried mackeral fish before, then you know how wonderful they are. These fish are very high in calcium and vitamin D, which naturally occur in fish oils. This makes them very good for your bones and teeth. In addition, mackeral fish are very low in fat, and are high in protein and fiber. If you are looking for a low-fat, high-protein food then try out some of these amazing creatures, preferably in the summertime, when they are farm-raised and easier to catch. If you want to make sure that your bones stay healthy then consider eating these fish more readily available in the wintertime. However, if you are in a place where it is warm all year long then try some of the varieties that are native to a warmer climate. For the best flavor, follow the advice given by your fishmonger and make sure that your mackeral fish is well-cleaned before cooking.
This is probably the most expensive type of fish that you can find, mainly because it is very difficult to catch due to its fast pace of life. However, if you are fortunate enough to be able to buy some, then make sure that you cook it correctly, as this fish is very high in omega-3 fatty acids, which may help improve your overall health. Although it may be tempting to buy this fish just because of its rarity, make sure that you have considered the calories that you are consuming by doing this. Just because these fish are expensive does not mean that you can overindulge in them without consequence. Follow the proper way of cooking this fish, and you will have no regrets.
Even though we now have an easy way to determine how long we should cook our fish, it is always a good idea to follow the advice of an expert fish cook, or at least to use their tips to cook your fish perfectly every time. Some of the best tips that I have found online, and that I will share with you, are:
- Try a different cooking method. If you normally bake your fish, then try frying it. Or if you usually grill your fish, then experiment with poaching it instead.
- If you use the same method of cooking every time, then it is very easy for the flavor to become monotonous. This is why it is important to take into consideration how you want the results of your fish to turn out, and then use the proper equipment and utensils to make that happen.
- Check the flesh. After you have cooked your fish, it is a good idea to cut it open to check for doneness. If you overindulge in the food then your fish may be overly done, so it is always better to be safe than sorry. The texture of your flesh will also tell you how near or far you are from achieving the perfect Golden Ratio.
- Try out new recipes. One of the best ways to improve your cooking is by creating new recipes. If you enjoy baking, then experiment with making fish-based desserts. Or if you prefer grilling, then try out some sea bass recipes that your favorite chef or cookbook author has to offer. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to prepare some of these dishes, once you have learned the basics.
- Fry in smaller batches. This is simply because you cannot judge the doneness of a large piece of fish all by yourself. If you are cooking a large quantity of fish then cut it into smaller pieces beforehand, so that you can easily determine how far along you are in the cooking process. This way, you can always remove some pieces before they become overcooked and end up being tough. Remember, the key to perfect fried fish is in the way that you use your eyes and how you feel about the way that the fish cooks. When you spot something is not right, then you must stop what you are doing and fix it before they are gone. This is why it is important to be observant about what you are doing and use your senses as much as possible. With that being said, there is no set rules about how long you should cook your fish. It really depends on what you want out of your dinner. If you are looking for a quick and easy meal then you may want to opt for some of the more affordable and popular types of fish that we have discussed so far. However, if you are seeking something more elegant then opt for the ones that are a little more expensive but worth it. As in life, there are no exact formulas in cooking. Every piece of fish is diverse in its own way, and each one requires a unique and individual touch to emerge as perfect as can be.