If you’re a fan of fish tacos, chances are you’re always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to enjoy them. While they’re delicious on their own, sometimes all it takes is the right combination of flavors to really make them shine.
Whether you prefer your fish tacos grilled or battered, spicy or mild, there are countless ingredients that can take your taco game to the next level. From zesty salsas to creamy coleslaws, there’s no shortage of delicious toppings that pair perfectly with fresh seafood.
“Food is not just fuel, it’s information. It talks to your DNA and tells it what to do.” -Dr. Mark Hyman
To help inspire your next meal, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite fish taco combinations that are sure to impress your taste buds. Whether you’re looking for something classic or want to experiment with bold new flavors, these tasty recipes are sure to satisfy.
So if you’re ready to elevate your fish taco game, read on for some delicious inspiration!
Fresh & Tangy: Mango Salsa
To make the perfect mango salsa, you will need:
- 1 ripe mango, diced into small pieces
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing this fresh and tangy mango salsa is simple. All you have to do is follow these easy steps:
- In a medium bowl, mix together diced mango, chopped red onions, minced jalapeno, and freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
- Add juice from one lime and stir gently until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors blend together.
Mango salsa is versatile as it can be served in many ways. Here are some creative serving suggestions that go well with fish tacos:
- As a dip: Pair mango salsa with crispy tortilla chips or veggie sticks such as cucumber or jicama for a delicious snack or appetizer.
- On top of grilled fish: Add a scoop or two of mango salsa on top of your favorite grilled fish, salmon or tilapia work particularly well. The sweetness and acidity of the salsa perfectly complement the fish.
- In a burrito: Mango salsa tastes amazing in a taco or burrito. It’s equally good with chicken, pork, beef and vegetarian options like black beans or sweet potatoes.
“Fish tacos are best enjoyed with fresh ingredients to complement their flavors. Mango salsa is an excellent choice as it adds a bright, citrusy taste that perfectly balances out the mild flavor of the fish.” – Chef John, Food Wishes
If you want a healthier alternative to traditional Mexican street food, try making fish tacos at home! They’re easy to assemble, versatile and perfect for any season. What’s more, they pair perfectly well with this fresh and tangy mango salsa that’s sure to impress your family and friends. So, why not spice up your next game night or weekend barbecue with some delicious homemade fish tacos served alongside this mouthwatering mango salsa? Your guests will thank you!
Spicy & Creamy: Chipotle Mayo
Fish tacos are a beloved dish that originated in Mexico but has become a popular staple all over the world. They are fresh, flavorful, and incredibly versatile. One of the best ways to serve fish tacos is with a delicious sauce that brings out all the flavors and adds a creamy texture. Chipotle mayo is an excellent choice for this job – it’s spicy, smoky, and very easy to make.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned)
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt to taste
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, minced garlic, lime juice, and salt.
- Pulse until smooth and well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer to a jar or container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you can mix the ingredients by hand. Finely chop the chipotle peppers and whisk everything together until smooth.
The obvious answer to what goes good with fish tacos is more fish tacos! But if you want to add something extra, here are a few ideas:
- Add some fresh cilantro to the chipotle mayo for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve with a side of sliced avocado or guacamole. The creamy texture will nicely complement the spicy kick of the sauce.
- Top your tacos with some diced onions and tomatoes for added freshness.
- A squeeze of lime juice on top is always a good idea.
Chipotle mayo can be customized in many ways depending on your preference. Here are some ideas:
- If you like it less spicy, use only one chipotle pepper or remove the seeds before blending.
- For a sweeter version, add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup.
- Make it vegan by using vegan mayonnaise instead of regular.
- Add some smoked paprika or cumin for extra smokiness.
“My favorite fish taco sauce is definitely a blend of smoky chipotle mayonnaise and sweet mango salsa.” – Damaris Phillips
Fish tacos are a delicious and healthy meal that everyone loves. With this simple recipe for chipotle mayo, you’ll have a mouth-watering sauce that adds a bold, rich taste to your tacos. Experiment with different variations and serving styles until you find your favorite combination!
Crispy & Crunchy: Cabbage Slaw
One of the most popular accompaniments to fish tacos is a fresh and zesty cabbage slaw. This crunchy side dish provides an excellent contrast to the tender, flaky nature of the fish in your taco, making for a complete and balanced taco experience.
- 1 small head green cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
To make this refreshing and crisp cabbage slaw, start by washing and slicing 1 small head of green cabbage into thin strips. Thinly slice 1/4 of a red onion and mince 1 jalapeño pepper if desired. Chop 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro.
In large mixing bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cabbage, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeño to the dressing mixture, making sure to thoroughly toss until everything is well coated with the vinaigrette.
Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour before serving. This will allow all the flavors to meld together perfectly.
When it comes to serving this delicious cabbage slaw alongside your fish tacos, there are many ways to get creative with the plating. Some great options include:
- Spoon the slaw directly onto your taco
- Place a small scoop of slaw on the side of your plate as an additional side dish
- Create a colorful bed of slaw on your plate before placing your tacos on top for an Instagram-worthy presentation
No matter how you choose to serve your cabbage slaw with fish tacos, one thing is certain: it’s going to taste amazing!
“Fish and slaw go together like peanut butter and jelly!” -Unknown
Healthy & Colorful: Avocado Salad
If you are looking for a healthy and delicious side dish that pairs well with fish tacos, try this easy-to-make avocado salad. This recipe is not only full of flavor but also packed with nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the avocado salad, start by combining the diced avocado, chopped red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, and rinsed black beans in a large bowl. Add in the fresh cilantro leaves and toss everything together gently.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the lime juice, salt, and pepper until well combined. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and stir everything together once again to ensure it’s evenly coated. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
The avocado salad is best served chilled and should be consumed within two days of preparation.
“You can’t go wrong with a classic pairing like avocado and seafood.” -Ina Garten
This colorful salad makes a great addition to any summer meal and works particularly well alongside fish tacos since its bright flavors complement the rich flavors of the taco filling. It also pairs perfectly with grilled chicken or roasted vegetables.
If you’re hosting a barbecue or potluck, this salad is easy to make in large quantities and can be prepared ahead of time. Simply store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
This avocado salad is not only healthy and delicious but also incredibly versatile. Its fresh ingredients and complimentary flavors make it a perfect addition to any meal.
Refreshing & Light: Watermelon Salad
Fish tacos are a delicious and fresh meal that can leave you feeling satisfied but not weighed down. However, finding the perfect side dish to pair with this staple dish can be tricky. One option is to add some color and texture with a refreshing watermelon salad.
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To start creating this easy and tasty salad, begin by prepping the ingredients. Cut the watermelon into small cubes, slice the red onion thinly, chop up the fresh cilantro, and remove the seeds and dice the jalapeño pepper. Once all of the ingredients have been prepared, combine them in a large bowl along with the crumbled feta cheese.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the lime juice along with salt and pepper to create a dressing for your salad. Pour the dressing over the watermelon mixture and toss to ensure everything is coated evenly. You may want to let the flavors meld together in the refrigerator for about half an hour before serving.
This refreshing salad is the perfect complement to fish tacos. Not only does it provide balance in texture and flavor, but it also has many health benefits. Watermelon contains essential vitamins such as A, C, and B6, as well as lycopene that promotes heart and bone health. Additionally, jalapeño peppers have been proven to boost metabolism and aid in digestion.
If you want to add some additional protein to your meal, consider including grilled shrimp or chicken breast to this salad for added sustenance.
“Watermelon is a naturally versatile fruit and can be enjoyed in many different ways.” –Christy Brissette, RD
If you’re looking to change up the flavors of this classic watermelon salad, there are a few easy substitutions you can make. Instead of feta cheese, crumble goat cheese on top for a creamier texture. Alternatively, if you prefer milder heat, swap out the jalapeño pepper for diced bell pepper instead. To make it vegan-friendly, omit the cheese altogether and use a plant-based alternative such as sunflower seeds or cashews.
A watermelon salad is an excellent side dish accompaniment to any fish taco dinner. This refreshing and light dish will leave you feeling satisfied without weighing you down. It’s also a great way to incorporate healthy nutrients into your diet while still enjoying delicious meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some popular toppings for fish tacos?
Some popular toppings for fish tacos include shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce. You can also add salsa, diced onions, jalapeños, or pickled vegetables for extra flavor and texture. Experiment with different toppings to find your perfect combination!
What type of sauce goes well with fish tacos?
A classic sauce for fish tacos is a creamy, tangy sauce made with sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and spices like cumin and chili powder. Other options include salsa, guacamole, or a spicy salsa verde. Experiment with different sauces to find your favorite!
What side dishes complement fish tacos?
Some great side dishes to serve with fish tacos include rice and beans, grilled vegetables, corn on the cob, or a fresh green salad. You can also add some chips and salsa or guacamole for snacking before or after the meal.
What type of beverage pairs well with fish tacos?
A light and refreshing beverage like a cold beer, a crisp white wine, or a citrusy margarita can pair well with fish tacos. If you prefer non-alcoholic options, try a fresh fruit smoothie or a sparkling water with a squeeze of lime.
What are some alternative proteins to use in fish tacos?
If you’re looking for a non-fish alternative protein for your tacos, try using shrimp, scallops, or grilled chicken. You can also use tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian or vegan option. Don’t be afraid to mix and match proteins to create your perfect taco!